Saturday, May 7, 2011

Ever wish you could take your childs pain for yourself? I'm sure every mom out there has, and yesterday I wished that it was possible. Yesterday Chloe broke her finger. Vince snapped a couple pictures with his phone and she was not to happy about getting her picture taken.

Chloe came home from school at 3. She asked to go out and play with her friends I said no, you don't get to play with friends until I can see the floor in you bedroom. She went up stairs to clean. About 5 minutes later, there was a knock on the door, knowing it had to be a friends Chloe ran downstairs to answer the door. It was a neighbor boy asking if Vince could fix the chain on his bike since his dad wasnt' home. Vince being the bike mechanic he is ran out to grab a few tools to fix it up (and probably make it better) Chloe asked if she could watch daddy fix it, I told her yes and that she could wait outside by her friend. That's when it all happened. Vince was going out the back door while Chloe was going out the front door and because it was so windy yesterday the wind swept through the house slamming the front door right on Chloe right index finger ripping her finger nail off with it, now it just didn't slam and bounce off when it hit her hand, it slammed so hard the door was closed shut with her little finger in there! I don't think I've ever heard anyone scream like she did in my life. I threw my laptop on the floor(yes, I was wasting my time on Pinterest) ran over opened the door and saw a bloody finger that was smashed FLAT! yes, it was flat and concave from the the pressure of the door. It was the WORST SIGHT EVER!!! I thought for sure the bone in her finger was shattered. Vince's thought as he ran over was that it had been cut off thinking of a similar story that happened to a friend. I'm SO SO SO glad that wasn't the case! I ran out the door carrying Chloe and sped down main street going about 60mph with her screaming in the back seat "it hurts, it hurts so bad" and all I could say was " I know, we're almost there!" that's when I realized she was in shock. She asked, "where are we going and why does my finger hurt so bad?" I looked at her and said "do you not remember what just happened?" No she did not remember anything, she said she was out playing with friends.

I wish now that the picture showed it from a side angle so you could see how flat and concave it looked, but picture taking was the last thing on my mind at that moment.


We walk into the office with her screaming (and I do not blame her at all) I sign her in, and they take up back into their little ER look-a-like room. I laid her on the bed and she said over and over "I wish this didn't' have to happen" That broke my heart! I felt so bad! The Dr comes in and looks at it and says "we need to take an X-Ray. They take us into another room and we sit Chloe down and it took the nurse and Vince to hold Chloe's finger down flat. She did not want to relax it or set it down on anything. Once we got that over with the Dr. looked at it and said "her growth plate it broken, I'm recommending you take her to this specialist"
You can see in this picture that she wouldn't lay her finger flat for anything.

We get to Dr. Larson (the specialist) and by this time her finger was completley black and blue and swollen. Dr. Larson was nice and did a very good job with her but did not look like a Dr. at all, but only in Idaho will a Dr walk in wearing wranglers, a big belt buckle and cowboy boots, the only thing he was missing was his hat. (which was probably in his office) he looked at the xray and said, with the way it moved it was all still aligned and would be okay and surgery will most likely not be needed. He wrapped pink splint around her finger prescribed Tylenol with codeine set an appt for 10 days and sent us on our way.

I always thought with how wild and crazy and daring Brayden is that he would have been the first to break a bone, but Chloe beat him to it by walking out the front door. Poor girl! She is doing much better today, she said it's still sore but not as bad as yesterday!

7 comments:

Kat said...

omg!!!!!!I am so sorry! That sounds positively horrible. I hate that as moms we try so hard to keep our kids out of harms way and then they decide to do something stupid like walk out the front door! I know it's not funny, it's super sad...just trying to put a smile on your face. Sometimes being a mom really hurts. ;-(

Kayla said...

Chloe knocked on our door this morning and I saw her poor bandaged finger and she told me what happened. I feel so bad. She made it sound mild to what really happened. I'm so sorry!! Dr. Larson is the doctor Adam saw when he broke his foot last year. He is an interesting doctor, that's for sure.

Bryanna Johnson said...

That is a terrible story! We asked Chloe what happened to her finger when she came over today, but what she told us did not tell the story at all! I had no idea she got hurt that bad! Ouch!

Tanya said...

I still don't think she really knows what happened. She only repeats what we told her. I didn't tell her how flat and concave her finger looked, that would have freaked her out more! she knows her nail is gone she was okay with that, she knows it'll grow back. all we told her was she slammed her finger in the door and it broke but it'll be better fast! =) I think that's all she needs to know right now, she can learn the rest after it's healed. ;)

Allrie said...

I will write to Chloe, myself, but as I told Vin, I can really empathize. While in kindergarden, mu finger [I no longer recall which one] got slammed in a pocket door, and I lost my fingernail. I don't remember the finger being brocken or much anything else about it, but it seemed like FOREVER til it grew back in. I recall it being an exciting story to tell when we moved and I still had no fingernail, but I also learned to swim that summer, so I don't guess it fazed me all that much in the end.

Hopes & prayers that it will become a cool story for Chloe...there is a reason we go into shock, maybe she doesn't need to know a lot of detail at least until all is well: fingernail gtown in & writing fine.

Lura said...

Poor Chloe. How's she doing now? Do you know how long she'll have to have her splint on? I had one when I was 9 because of slamming my finger in a car door and bruising the bone. I had to wear it for a long time, and my finger doesn't go straight to this day, it sticks up at the joint.

the Petterson Family said...

Oh my! I just barely read this and that picture makes me so sad! Just looking at that little sad face!